Woman Left in Wheelchair Overnight at Chicago Airport

Sheep crowd a pen next to Lukomir on Bjelašnica mountain.
American Airlines stewardess Jean Hoder enjoyed getting to know passengers in the airport during her down time between flights. She made a special connection with these children who were particularly interested in her career. They would return to the airport almost every day to greet her when she got off the plane. Check out these rare, vintage photos of what daily life was like in the 1950s.
Person in wheelchair at airport. (photo via Manuel-F-O / iStock / Getty Images Plus)

A family is searching for answers after a 67-year-old woman was reportedly left in her wheelchair overnight at a Chicago airport last week due to her flight being canceled.

According to CBS Chicago, Olimpia Warsaw was attending a relative’s funeral in Illinois and scheduled to fly home to Detroit Friday. Her son Claude Coltea walked his mother to the gate at Chicago O’Hare International Airport where they were met by a porter.

Coltea was assured by the porter that Warsaw would be taken care of and left his mother at the airport. A short time later, the woman’s American Airlines flight to Detroit was canceled and she was offered a hotel room for the night.

Instead of taking Warsaw to her room, the porter left the airport when his shift ended and the woman’s inability to communicate left her unable to summon her own transportation. As a result, she was left near the gate for hours.

Warsaw’s family began contacting officials from O’Hare when they discovered her Detroit flight had been canceled, but it took hours before security officials were able to find the woman in her wheelchair, wearing the same clothes as she did the previous day.

American Airlines told Fox News the airline has launched an investigation into the incident:

“We are very concerned about this and have launched an investigation with our Chicago team and the vendor we utilize that provides wheelchair services at Chicago O’Hare,” a spokesperson for the airline said. “We have spoken with the family multiple times and met with them both in Chicago and Detroit yesterday. Our team has already refunded back the fare for this trip.”

Source: Read Full Article