Quiet Spanish city named number one destination in the Mediterranean

A Spanish city where the average hotel rate is under £100 per night (on average) has been rated the best seaside destination in the Mediterranean, according to more than 3,000 visitors, Which? reveals. 

More than 40 coastal locations were surveyed and Valencia in Spain was ranked the best destination in Europe. 

With 91 percent of votes, everything tourists used to head to Barcelona for, is now available in Valencia. 

It has been described as a “cityscape which swings from honey-stoned old town whorled around a Gothic cathedral, to futuristic buildings”, and has been named as “one of Spain’s leading gastronomy scenes” with a four out of five-star rating for its food and drink. 

If you do visit Valencia, there is a must-see attraction in Mercado Central – think “less market” and more “gastronomic marvel”. 

From there, visitors should “head to swathes of golden sand” with Patacona named the “best”. And beaches are a huge plus for readers who awarded it five stars in this category. 

Unlike Barcelona, Valencia is “yet to suffer from over-tourism”, and it is said that this contributes to its “great value”. 

In terms of the weather, days are usually hot with balmy evenings, so visitors should pack light and cool clothing. 

The average daily maximum in July is 32 degrees Celsius and the average daily minimum is 22 degrees Celsius. 

As for rain, there is an 87 percent chance of a perfect sunny day, according to Tui, and a 13 percent chance of seeing some clouds. 

It is also the best time to be on the beach with the water at an average temperature of 25 degrees Celsius making it perfect for swimming. 

Don’t miss…
UK’s favourite historic house is ‘so impressive’[PICTURES]
The best seaside town in the UK for fish and chips named – full list[VISIT]
World’s best country for British expats has ‘enviable weather’[LATEST]

Top 20 seaside and beach towns in the Mediterranean and Europe 

1. Valencia, Spain 
2. Porto, Portugal
3. Venice, Italy 
4. Tavira, Portugal 
5. Pollença, Spain 
6. Chania Town, Greece 
7. Rhodes, Greece
8. Syracuse, Italy 
9. Barcelona, Spain
10. Lisbon, Portugal 
11. Nerja, Spain 
12. Dubrovnik, Croatia 
13. Estepona, Spain 
14. Malaga, Spain 
15. Nice, France 
16. Sorrento, Italy 
17. Bilbao, Spain 
18. Cadiz, Spain 
19. Lagos, Portugal 
20. Athens, Greece 

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Source: Read Full Article