Get the best travel tips, advice and holiday deals
We have more newsletters
The favourite ways Brits "find themselves" include a digital detox, daily empowerment and travelling the world.
A study of 2,000 adults found most have never been on a "journey of self-discovery" and almost half (47%) haven’t completely come to terms with who the real "them" is yet.
And only 28% are content with their lot in life.
Of those who are, or have been on such a pursuit, a whopping 83% say it was a success.
But more than a third (34%) of those polled, by Tourism New Zealand, said travelling abroad would improve their chances of finding themselves.
More than half of those (55%) said they’d like to get the opportunity to experience an entirely different culture – expanding their horizons in the process.
Others think ditching alcohol, taking up yoga and meditation, changing career path, or starting a TikTok channel, would be the best way to find themselves.
Nonetheless, 76% believe it is important to understand yourself – with the aim of building self-confidence the number one reason for doing so (51%).
Discovering your full-potential (45%) and learning from past mistakes (41%), are also incentives for self-discovery, according to OnePoll.com data.
New Zealand topped the list as the place Brits feel is best to visit in order to complete a voyage of self-discovery, followed by Australia, Canada and USA.
The study also found over a third (37%) of everyone polled is keen to live life to the full, with a quarter of Brits (25%) making their way through a bucket list of life goals.
Sarah Handley, general manager, Americas & Europe for New Zealand Tourism, said: "It’s great to see that people in the UK are interested in self-discovery, with some stepping out of their comfort zones and seeking new adventures, in a bid to improve their overall well-being and self-understanding.
"New Zealand has so much to offer such as diverse landscapes, unique wildlife, and a rich indigenous culture to immerse yourself in, making it the perfect destination for self-reflection.
"We welcome anyone embarking on a journey of self-discovery, we hope that New Zealand provides the opportunity to truly find yourself."
TOP THINGS BRITS ARE DOING TO FIND THEMSELVES:
- Reading more
- Travelling the world
- Removing negative people from your life
- Exploring the great outdoors
- Learning about and experiencing a new culture
- Being more present (i.e., being fully engaged and attentive to the present moment)
- Surrounding yourself with likeminded people
- Picking up a new hobby (e.g., knitting/doing puzzles/cooking/pottery)
- Changing career paths
- Volunteering at a charity
- Cleaning/clearing out the home
- Spending less time using devices
- Learning about different ideologies and religions
- Doing yoga and meditation
- Writing a journal/book
- Escaping the city
- Trying out different music – finding new artists
- Moving to another country
- Exploring your sexuality/ having new sexual experiences
- Learning a new language
- Daily manifestations/empowerment
- Stop drinking alcohol
- Watching movies deemed culturally and artistically important
- Setting up a side hustle
- Experimenting with fashion
- Deleting all social media
- Living a zero-waste lifestyle
- Petitioning for social justice
- Crystals and astrology
- Starting a TikTok channel
TOP 10 COUNTRIES VOTED BEST TO VISIT TO "FIND YOURSELF":
- New Zealand
- Travel Advice
Source: Read Full Article