A report into the disturbing strip-searches of women at Doha Airport could be sent to Australian authorities as early as Friday.
Eighteen passengers, including 13 Aussies, on a Qatar flight from Doha to Sydney this month were physically examined after a newborn was found buried in an airport garbage bin.
Shocking footage emerged this week of paramedics checking the baby girl, who was found in a plastic bag, before they were met by an airport staff member.
CCTV footage shows the moments immediately after a newborn baby was found at Qatar’s main airport. Picture: Doha News ExclusiveSource:Supplied
RELATED Watch the video: Moments after baby was found in a bin
The Qatari government launched an investigation following the alleged attempted murder on October 2.
Women of child-bearing age on 10 flights that day were also subject to the invasive examination.
“While the aim of the urgently decided search was to prevent the perpetrators of the horrible crime from escaping, the State of Qatar regrets any distress or infringement on the personal freedoms of any traveller caused by this action,” the Qatari government said in a statement on Wednesday.
It also promised that the results of the “comprehensive, transparent investigation” would be shared with its international partners.
Foreign Affairs Minister Marise Payne day said it was a ‘grossly disturbing, offensive, concerning set of events’. Picture: NCA NewsWire / Gary RamageSource:News Corp Australia
Foreign Affairs Minister Marise Payne told a Senate estimates hearing this week she would speak to her Qatari counterpart on receipt of the report.
Senator Payne has yet to speak with the foreign affairs minister but stressed that Australia’s condemnation of the event had been relayed.
She is expected to provide an update in the next few days about the findings of the investigation and any further action from Australia.
Scott Morrison said as the father of two daughter, he could “only shudder at the thought” that anyone would be subjected to the searches.
“It is unacceptable … it was appalling,” the Prime Minister said.
“You can be confident those messages were conveyed very clearly at the time and more recently.”
Qatari authorities said the infant was now safe under medical care in Doha.
trending in travel
Source: Read Full Article