The European country of Slovenia is planning to use its pavilion at Expo 2020 Dubai to focus on apitourism, better known as bee tourism, it was announced on Sunday.
“Home to over 10,000 beekeepers, 12,500 apiaries and nearly 170,000 hive colonies, bees have played a huge role in Slovenian culture for centuries. Today the country is home to a huge variety of bee-related activities, from relaxing honey massage and beehive air inhalation to staying overnight in your very own private honeycomb,” the Slovenian Tourist Board said in a press statement.
As a result, Slovenian officials working on the country’s pavilion at Expo 2020 Dubai will use the event to showcase the country’s range of apitouristic offerings.
The tourist board’s release outlined a range of bee-related activities visitors to Slovenia can avail of:
- Take an apitherapy tour – Embark on an apitherapy tour to learn all about the curative effects of Slovenia’s ancient beekeeping tradition – from honey massages to spas and tastings.
- Stay overnight in a honeycomb – In the green Savinja Valley you can transform yourself into a bee and live among the shelter of honeycomb-shaped cabins in Honey Village.
- Spoil your senses with honey– At Topolšica Spa you can experience the soothing effects of a honey spa or stay overnight in the company of bees and let the soothing buzz help send you off to sleep.
- Honey tasting trails – Slovenia produces 2400kg of honey each year. Experience honey tasting trails in Maribor and watch traditional honey lectarstvo being made in Radovljica.
- Inhale healthy beehive air – Pamper your respiratory system and inhale soothing beehive air at the apiaries in Selo pri Bledu or the Pule Estate in Dolenjska.
- Visit Radovljica – Slovenia’s ‘sweetest town’ is the ideal location for exploring Slovenia’s rich beekeeping tradition, home to The Museum of Apiculture and 600 hand-painted bee-houses.
- Take part in an api-artwork workshop- Visit Selo and meet local beekeeper Blaž Ambrožič, with the opportunity to hand paint beehive panels. You can also learn to make wax candles and inhale air directly from the hives.
- Visit the Slovenian Beekeeping Centre– Established in 1873 the centre showcases Slovenia’s beekeeping history and offers nature trails, as well as the opportunity to sample traditional honey liqueurs.
- Explore Slovenia’s vast landscapes– From the Julian Alps to the Pannonian Basin, explore native flora that makes Slovenia a haven for bees.
- An api-adventure inspired 4-day travel itinerary that includes Slovenia’s iconic tourist destinations is ready for the booking!
Expo 2020 Dubai announced in April it has invited all 192 countries “without exception” to take part in the event next year.
“We have invited all countries in the world without exception, in line with our commitment to making Expo 2020 Dubai a truly international event and platform for all of humanity,” an official Expo 2020 Dubai spokesperson said in a statement.
“For more than 170 years, World Expos have been apolitical events focused on furthering humanity for the common good through innovation, cultural exchange, creativity and collaboration. We are proud to continue that tradition,” the statement added.
Expo 2020 Dubai will run from October 20, 2020 to April 20, 2021 and it is estimated the event will attract 25 million visitors to the UAE. The Dubai government is planning to spend around $40 billion on major projects related to the event.
Source: Read Full Article