Le Boat is now operating along Canada’s picturesque Rideau Canal
Le Boat, Europe’s largest operator of self-drive boating vacations, has begun operations in 2018 in its first North American destination in Ontario, on Canada’s historic Rideau Canal.
With no boating experience required, Le Boat has opened up this UNESCO World Heritage listed destination, the Rideau Canal, with a route to take travellers down a chain of lakes, rivers and canals between Ottawa and Kingston.
There are endless land and water activities along the route from fishing, paddle boating, canoeing to hiking, biking and bird-watching. Le Boat offers two bases for the 2019 cruising season, the main Smith Falls Base located mid-way between Ottawa and Kingston, and a new base in Seeleys Bay, a lovely village closer to Kingston. Suggested routes are offered and a full guide to the Rideau Canal is available, however, travellers have complete flexibility with their itinerary and the freedom to cruise as much or as little as they want, ensuring the boats are returned at the agreed date and time.
Le Boat launched this year with a fleet of 16 state-of-the-art Horizon cruisers, with several more being added to the fleet for 2019. All Horizon Cruisers offer a high level of comfort with large forward staterooms and roomy upper deck with sunbathing area equipped with al-fresco dining amenities. Each spacious en-suite cabin comes with air-cooling and heating system as well as plenty of USB ports accessible for passengers to recharge their portable gadgets.
THINGS TO DO ON THE RIDEAU CANAL
The historic area offers visitors the following experiences:
- A slice of Netherlands with a Canadian twist at Ottawa’s annual Canadian Tulip Festival in May
- North America’s only remaining operating grist mills in Manotick, Ottawa
- Canada’s prettiest village, Merrickville, also dubbed as the ‘Jewel of the Rideau’
From fabulous fine-dining experiences, to chic boutiques and trendy watering holes, the area offers:
- The Perth Brewery with its maple-flavoured ale
- A lakeside wine-tasting and lunch at the Scheuermann Vineyard and Winery in Westport
- The Forfar Cheese Factory, the oldest in Ontario
- Handcrafted chocolate creations at Ridgeway Confections in Seeley’s Bay
Diverse geography and access to crystal clear waters means the area is a thrill seekers wonderland.
There are the following activities:
- Learn how to fish in Newboro, a favourite sport among fishermen for over 120 years
- Fishing in Newboro
- Climbing the spectacular Kingston Crag at Kingston Mills
- The Baxter Conservation Area with picture-perfect forest, wetlands and meadows
Source: Read Full Article