Airbnb expands experiences nationwide across New Zealand
Airbnb, the world’s leading community-driven hospitality platform, today announces the launch of Experiences across New Zealand, with almost 100 Experiences already available for locals and travellers to book.
From today, passionate New Zealanders throughout the country can pursue their interests on Airbnb and become micro-entrepreneurs. Airbnb Experiences launched globally in 2016, and after a successful pilot launch in Queenstown last year, locals from the North Island to the South Island can now become an Experience host and connect with a global network of more than 300 million travellers.
Airbnb Experiences allow travellers to enjoy insider access by offering magical, handcrafted activities, designed and led by inspiring locals. They go beyond typical tours or classes by immersing guests in each host’s unique world. It’s an opportunity for anyone to share their hobbies, skills, or expertise with others.
Whether it’s creating your own slice of movie magic at the award-winning design and effects studio behind major Hollywood blockbusters such as Lord of the Rings and Thor in Wellington, immersing yourself in the Maori cultural traditions and learning the Haka in Queenstown, or getting a squash lesson with a former World Champion in Auckland, local residents and international visitors to New Zealand can now uncover the open and warm hospitality for which Kiwis are renowned. Airbnb welcomed more than 1.9 million guest arrivals into New Zealand in 2017, an average growth of 71 percent year-over-year.
“Travellers are increasingly interested in exploring authentic experiences through the eyes of locals and with over 15,000 Experiences in more than 800 cities available to book worldwide, there is an activity on Airbnb for every kind of traveller,” Sam McDonagh, Airbnb Country Manager for Australia and New Zealand said.
“The expansion of Experiences across all of New Zealand will help to boost tourism outside of city centres by attracting more people to regional areas. Experiences are a great way for creative entrepreneurs to tap into their passions and unlock economic opportunities through the platform. I’d encourage anyone in New Zealand with a passion they want to share to submit their unique Experience ideas and become an Airbnb host.”
Below are a selection of Experiences on offer in New Zealand:
· Cuba Street Culinary Tour – Join self confessed foodie Joshua, and visit exceptional restaurants around the most diverse area of Wellington – Cuba Street. Ranging from quirky to fancy, you will traverse the area, taking in sights and immersing yourself in the local foodie culture.
· A City to Rebuild – Devastated by earthquakes in 2010 and 2011, Christchurch native Gordon will take you on a walking tour of the local area and show you the buildings still bearing scars from these events.
· Discover the magic of Titanomagnitite – Former teachers, Graeme and Linda are long time Waiuku residents and passionate about the wonderful history and natural phenomena that surrounds the area. They will take you to an area where you can explore and experiment with magnets to create amazing sand formations using the sand’s magnetic properties.
· Hidden Auckland with Lunch – Explore the hidden lanes, charming squares and open spaces of New Zealand’s most diverse city on foot with your host Liz.
· Create Your Own Skincare Oil – Learn about botanical oils with Jo and why they’re so good for skin as you experience a variety of different base and essential oils, and learn about their uses and beneficial properties.
· Be Your Own Guru – Spend the day recharging your mind, body, and soul on this immersive wellbeing experience with Luke, a former professional football player turned mindfulness and wellbeing coach.
· Wild & Peaceful NZ: Yoga, Art & Horses – See first hand the connection between humans and horses on this multi-day immersive experience with Rosemary. As a Social Impact Experience, Airbnb waives all it’s fees and 100% of proceeds go to Equine Pathfinders Foundation (EPF), a registered charity making equine assisted growth and learning accessible to all.
· Glass beadmaking – Glassmaker Jo will teach you the ancient and fascinating method of creating flameworked glass beads, also known as lampworking. Learn how to make and decorate basic beads in colours of your choice.
· Ride Back in Time on a Big Wheel – Get a taste for the historic experience of learning to ride a high wheel in the Victorian Precinct of Oamaru with Sophia. The penny farthing, also known as the ordinary or high wheel were an integral part of Oamaru’s landscape during its Victorian heyday of the 1880’s.
Founded in 2008, Airbnb is a global travel community that offers magical end-to-end trips, including where you stay, what you do and the people you meet. Airbnb uniquely leverages technology to economically empower millions of people around the world to unlock and monetise their spaces, passions and talents to become hospitality entrepreneurs. Airbnb’s accommodation marketplace offers access to millions of places to stay in more than 191 countries, from apartments and villas to castles, treehouses and B&Bs. With Experiences, people can see a different side to a destination through unique, handcrafted activities run by locals, while a partnership with Resy provides access to the best local restaurants in selected countries. All of this is brought together in one easy-to-use and beautifully designed website and app. For more information, visit: airbnb.co.nz/experiences
Source: Read Full Article